Matt Carberry (kingpin248) wrote,
Matt Carberry

  • Mood:
  • Music:
My weekend was pretty good, all in all. Saturday I woke up around 12:30, and prepared for the long day ahead on the bike. I had a vague idea of how long it would be, but nothing precise. MapBlast put the estimate of the trip length around 75 km (46.6 mi). So just before 2 PM, I set off. Following Route 366 up to Freeville, I then took 38 south through Dryden (where I ate) to Richford, and then 79 west back to Ithaca. The actual distance was 71.27 km (44.29 mi). And boy, did I feel it. I frequently had to stop on the climbs due to exhaustion. There were a couple of climbs where I couldn't go two hundred meters without stopping again. And the trip as a whole was slow - the overall average speed was 21.41 km/h. I think this had something to do with the brakes. The brake problem could have come about when I changed the back tire in the middle of June. But there was also contact between the front wheel and its brake. I tried to correct this in Richford, but I ended up loosening the cable too much. While the wheel turned freely, this became a problem upon my return to Ithaca, where I had to use my brakes a lot more. I'll continue looking at the brake in the days ahead.

Also, in the mail, I got several interesting things. One was a nice note from Cornell Women's Lacrosse, thanking me and the station for all the coverage we gave them. I thought of the article I wrote for 14850 Magazine about the team, that coach Graap probably doesn't know about yet. (Well, I don't know when it will appear either, but I have been told that the next issue goes to press early this week.) Another thing I got was an EZ-Pass, primarily for tolls on NYC bridges (though it also works on the Thruway). It came in an envelope with Lance Armstrong on it, which I liked immensely. Of course, with the Tour de France starting this weekend, Lance will be in the headlines once again as he goes for his third straight victory. I have no doubt he'll get it.

When I got home, I took a bath. I needed to soak my badly aching body. In fact, there is still a mild pain in my legs as I write this. But the bath was very relaxing. Then I just hung out for a while. Being alone in my house, and not knowing what else there was to do, I just chilled out.

I awoke today around 2:30 PM. Today was a pretty nondescript day. Sports Roundup went well, I was able to easily fill the time with talk of baseball. This time, I managed to get out on time. After that I came home. And I chilled again. But Chris did come home tonight. At least I'm not alone in the house anymore, as I have been for the last week. Neither of us has any idea when Becky will be back. She's searching for a job in Philadelphia, so she could be back "tomorrow or two weeks from now," according to Chris.

This week should be a good one, especially with Alumni Hockey and the staff summer picnic at the end of it. Also, I think I need to get a haircut. I either have to do this before work during the week or on Saturday. Translation: it has to be done on Saturday.

And I still have to determine when Andy Noel will be on my show. It will be interesting to see what Chris' reaction will be when I tell him I'm trying to book Noel, who is reviled my many in the CU Pep Band for his repression of expression in Lynah Rink.

Stay tuned...

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.